vertical line
Jefferson County Historical Commission
Preserving & Protecting
horizontal line
vertical line
The Mini-Museum is located in the Lobby of the Jefferson County Courthouse
(Historical Building).

Jefferson County Historical Commission Mini-Museum

September 1 – November 28, 2011

The Beaumont Heritage Society explores Beaumont’s past at the Jefferson County Historical Commission Mini-Museum located in the Lobby of the Jefferson County Courthouse.  The exhibit highlights collection pieces representing both the John Jay French Museum and the Chambers Historical House Museum.

Look back into the pioneer days with pieces from the French collection, including kitchen items such as a coffee grinder and butter mold, personal items represented by clothing and shoes and business items like the cigar mold representing Mr. French’s attempt to grow tobacco in the area.  Many other items from the French collection represent the period from 1845-1865.

Another display case covers the time period starting in 1845 with original photographs of the French house and takes you through 1945 with photos of the Chambers House.  Included is a copy of a letter written in 1868 showing a connection between the Chambers and French families.

The exhibit continues with collection pieces from the Chambers House.  Highlighted are personal items such as jewelry and accessories, toys that belonged to Ruth & Florence Chambers, kitchen items including a tea set and items from Mr. Chamber’s business, the Chambers Hardware Store.  The Chambers collection represents the period from 1920-1945.

For more information on the Beaumont Heritage Society and the museums, visit beaumontheritage.org.

For information on the Jefferson County Historical Commission, please contact Linda McMahen, Coordinator, at 409 835 8701 or histcomm@co.jefferson.tx.us.

SkyView
 

 

 
  Home | Officers | Links